Arte in Sicilia - SicilyTourist Your Travelsite for Sicily

SicilyTourist Travel WebSite for Sicily
Select your language:
Go to content
About Sicily
Notes on Art in Sicily
Imposing architectural remains of temples, theatres and aqueducts which still rise majestically on the sites of great ancient cities, as well as the large numbers of fine sculptures, decorative features of ancient buildings, pottery and precious items displayed in the main archaeological museums in Sicily of bear witness two centuries of Graeco-Sicel, Roman and Byzantine culture, making up one of the most remarkable archaeological treasures of old mankind. The temples of Segesta, Selinunte and Agrigento, the theatres of Taormina, Siracusa and Selinunte, the aqueducts of Termini and Agrigento, defensive works of Siracusa ( the Castle of Euryalus) the archaeological museums in Siracusa, Palermo, Trapani, Himera, etc, as well as the vast archaeological sites of ancient cities such us Agrigento, Heraclea Minoa, Himera, Segesta, Selinunte, etc, can to be easily summarized here. For brevity’s sake, we can say that Sicilian art of antiquity was characterized by presence of majestic architectural works in cities developed technical skills (particularly in the field of later –conveying systems), the magnificence of the Roman patrician villas, the refined statuary and the richness and realism of the great mosaic cycles. Old is features flourished again both under the Byzantines and in the Middle Ages when the rest of western Europe was still struggling to free itself from a semi-barbarian condition. Sicilian medieval art in the first decades of the Kingdom (from the end of the 11C trough 12C) was characterized by the fact  that almost all the works were commissioned and financed by the Crow. Thanks to their prerogatives as “papal legates”, the members of the Hauteville dynasty were able to build the first great Latin cathedrals (Messina; Lipari; Cefalù; Monreale; Catania; Mazara; Agrigento; etc.).In these churches, the new Latin architectural spatiality imported from central Italy and northern Europe combined with the sumptuous decoration from the Maghreb, with the narrative schemes of Byzantine mosaics, and with Apulian Romanesque sculpture.
Roger II built Cefalù Cathedral, where he wished to      be buried. Later, he had his Royal Palace erected in Palermo, with his own      Palace Chapel (the “Palatine Chapel”), the most magnificent example of      Sicilian medieval art, built in 1132 and dedicated to St. Peter.The Royal      Palace also housed the royal art and crafts workshop, where crowns, jewels,      precious furnishings and ceremonial clothes were made. Some of these can      still be admired today, such as the splendid Byzantine imperial crown      (Kamelaukion)      now displayed in the Cathedral Treasury. Roger II was succeeded by William      I, who built the Zisa royal residence within the great royal park. His son,      William II, built the Cuba and the majestic Monreale Cathedral, another      jewel of royal art. The interior is richly decorated with splendid      Byzantine mosaics, and the cloister is one of the most elegant expressions      of medieval sculpture applied to architecture. In the meantime, the old      Palermo Cathedral was partially demolished and reconstructed as a much      larger building on the initiative of Bishop Gualtiero, who transformed it      into the greatest cathedral of medieval Sicily. The age of Emperor      Frederick II Hohenstaufen was mainly characterized by the building of his      castles, which represent a “unicum” in world history. The residential      needs of the sovereign and defensive needs were combined and satisfied in      construction of refined formal elegance: Castello Ursino (Catania);      Castello Maniace (Syracuse) and the Castles of Augusta and Augusta and      Milazzo, as well as the Towers of Enna, of the Colombaia in Trapani, and      of Gela.       In the14C, due to the Vespers War and to Baronial Anarchy, Sicily      withdrew into itself, and the art it produced was a mere continuation of      the expressive forms which had characterized the previous age. In the 15C,      however, the first step was taken towards a new aesthetic taste. The most      outstanding figure in architecture was Matteo Carnalivari of Noto, who was      active, in Palermo towards the end of the century (Palazzo Abatellis,      Palazzo Aiutamicristo and the church of Santa Maria della Catena).
Antonello      da Messina (1430-1479) is the greatest Sicilian painter of all time, and      one of the greatest 15C masters in Europe. Some of his paintings have      remained in Sicily: the Portrait of an Unknown, Seaman, in the Cefalù      Mandralisca Museum, the Three Saints and the splendid Annunzíata in the      Palermo Gallery, the San Gregorio polyptych in the Messina Museum, and the      Annunciation in the Palazzo Bellomo Museum in Syracuse. In sculpture, the      most outstanding figure was Domenico Gagini (Bissone c 1420 - Palermo      1492), the founder of a workshop which, for many generations, held a      prominent position in the field. In the 16C, the expressive forms of      Tuscan and Roman Mannerism began to gain ground. The leading figures were:      Antonello Gagini (1478-1536) and Polidoro da Caravaggio (the author of two      fine lateral doors in the Duomo of Messina). When Antonello died, his work      was continued by his sons. Many Tuscan sculptors moved to Sicily during      the 16C, including Montorsoli (famous for the fountains of Orion and      Neptune; the Scylla, now in the Messina Museum). Among his disciples were      Martino Montanini and A. Calamech. In architecture, the forms of Mannerism      became popular in the first half of the 17C. Examples of this are, in      Palermo: the Quattro Canti (Giulio Lasso); Porta Felice (Pietro Novelli);      the churches of Olivella and San Domenico; the old Shipyard (Mariano      Smiriglio); the church of the Teatini (Giacomo Besio). And also: the Town      Hall in Syracuse (G. Vermexio); the Benedectine Monastery in Catania (V.      De Franchis); the College and Church of the Jesuits in Trapani (N.      Masuccio). Baroque art was inaugurated by the church of the Annunziata dei      Teatini in Messina (Guaríno Guarini). It took more austere forms in      Palermo with Paolo Amato (1634-1714): Church of the Salvatore; and Giacomo      Amato (1643-1732): Church of the Pietà and Santa Téresa alla Kalsa.
The famous Villas of Bagheria are a case apart: here the architects' creativity is reflected in the scenographic architectural design and sinuous external staircases (Villa Palagonia; Villa Valguarnera; etc., 18C). More fanciful Baroque forms characterize the towns rebuilt after the 1693 earthquake (Catania, Syracuse, Noto, Grammichele, Avola, Ragusa, Modica, etc.). The Palermitan Vaccarini planned the reconstruction work in Catania (façade of the Cathedral; Palazzo Valle; the Town Hall; St Agatha's Abbey). Rosario Gagliardi (1726-1770) was active in different centres: Noto, Ragusa, Comiso, Caltagirone. His works include the churches of San Domenico and of the Collegio (Noto), those of San Giorgio and San Giuseppe (Ragusa) and the Cathedral of Modica. All these works are characterized by plastic structures and dynamic and original outlines. In painting, the most outstanding figure was P. Novelli of Monreale (1603-1647). His works include the paintings in the Capuchin churches at Ragusa and Leonforte, a large painting in Monreale, and a St. Christopher in the Catania Museum. Vito D'Anna (1720-1769) can be considered the founder of the school of Sicilian fresco painters of the second half of the century. In sculpture, Giacomo Serpotta (1656-1732) occupies a place of his own. The descendant of a family of sculptors and plastic artists, he was active in Palermo, where he decorated with joyful stuccoes a large number of churches and oratories (Oratories of San Lorenzo, Santa Cita, etc.). Another great sculptor and plastic artist was Ignazio Marabitti (1719-1797) (marble altarpiece of the Apotheosis of St. Benedict in Monreale Cathedral). 19C architecture began with the neoclassical work of the Palermitan G. V. Marvuglia (1729-1814), including the Oratory of San Filippo Neri all'Olivella and Villa Belmonte, in the Acquasanta quarter (Palermo). The most outstanding figures of late-19C architecture were the Palermitans G. B. F. Basile (Teatro Massimo) and G. Damiani Almeyda (Politeama Garibaldi). The period between the 19C and the 20C was dominated by the architect Ernesto Basile, a talented designer who introduced a refined and independent Sicilian Liberty style, a forerunner of Rationalism. Among his disciples were several distinguished architects.

Greek Temple - Segesta -

Eurialo Castle - Siracusa -

Mosaics Villa Romana del Casale -Piazza Armerina (En) -

Norman Palace - Palermo -

Cathedral interior - Monreale -

Ursino Castle - Catania -

Palazzo Ajutamicristo Interior - Palermo -

Annunciata di Palermo - Antonello da Messina -

Stone Garden - Noto (Sr) - Capital of the Baroque

Villa Valguarnera - Bagheria -

Cathedral - Modica (Rg) -

Villino Florio by E.Basile - The Liberty in Palermo -

eXTReMe Tracker

Tourist Discounts Card - Get discounts throughout Italy
Tutto per il Marketing della tua azienda
Report Sicily Tourist to a friend!
Enter your e-mail address:

OUR OFFICIAL PARTNERS:
The Tourism WebSite in Italy
Sicilianet.net
The first Sicilian search engine
Back to content